OSRS Skeletal Wyvern Guide 2023
Skeletal Wyverns are undead re-animated remains of the actual wyvern monsters in Old School RuneScape located within the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon. If players want a less crowded area to fight Skeletal Wyverns, they can be fought against during a Slayer task, and the task can only be assigned to you by the Slayer Masters; Konar, Nieve, Duradel, and Chaeldar after the completion of the quest “Elemental Workshop” in the private upper floor. They are a high combat level 140 creatures that require a slayer level of 72 to harm, Skeletal Wyverns are dangerous due to their attacks that freeze players and deal major damage if not prepared. The below lists show generally accepted strategies when fighting Skeletal Wyverns regardless of whether the player is on a Slayer Task or not.
Skeletal Wyverns are located in the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon past the Ice Warriors and Ice Giants, which is located South of the Port Sarim Jail and can be indicated through the “Red Exclamation Mark” on the mini-map. They are four ways to get there quick:
- Using the Fairy Ring (Code: A*I*Q) to reach the Mudskipper Point trapdoor (Peninsula located South of the Asgarnia Kingdom then run north through the passage until you see the dungeon entrance).
- House Teleport (If your house is in Rimmington).
- Minigame teleport to the port sarim to Port Sarim Rat Pits (If you’ve completed the quest Rat Catchers) allowing players to save an inventory slot.
- Amulet of Glory to teleport to the Draynor Village (located East of Port Sarim).
OSRS Skeletal Wyvern Strategy & Suggestions
Skeletal Wyverns are hard to hit with Ranged, and the reason is that the arrows that are fired, tend to pass right through them due to their hollow body structure. During the fight, you are required to have some sort of elemental protection like Dragonfire Ward, Dragonfire Shield, Mind Shield, or Elemental Shield, as their Icy Breath can be quite dangerous to deal with head one. Aside from that, having 80+ Attack, 80+ Strength, 80+ Defence, 80+ Ranged, and 75+ Magic is highly recommended before approaching the skeletal wyverns.
Recommended Skeletal Wyvern Gear Setup
Recommended Melee Gear
Recommended Ranged Gear
Recommended Magic Gear
Recommended Items for Skeletal Wyverns
- Prayer Potions
- Dragon Dagger (P++) or Dragon Mace (For their Special Attack)
- Teleportation Means (For Emergencies)
- Super Attack and Strength Potions, or Super Combat Potions
Skeletal Wyvern Strategy
There’s no real method to kill Skeletal Wyverns, as it all depends on which combat style suits you best. If you’re looking for quick kills and focusing on the drops, then melee is the best option, and if you plan to stay in the area for a longer duration, then safe-spotting (as shown below) with the help of Magic or Ranged is preferable. It's your choice whether you choose to use Melee, Ranged, or Magic against them. Meleeing them may be worth it if you high high level melee gear such as Bandos armour. If you have dragonhide armour, it may be better to use Void Knight Equipment to deal more damage.
Skeletal Wyvern Safespot
Dwarven Multi Cannons will make killing skeletal wyverns much more efficient. The cannon zone is anywhere in the lower part of the dungeon. Provided players have a good supply of cannonballs, it's easy to make quick work of wyverns with the additional damage from the cannons ranged attack.
- When players kill skeletal wyverns, it's recommended to use a crossbow such as the Dragon Hunter Crossbow or a Melee weapon such as the Dragon Hunter Lance to deal major damage and speed up kill times due to their attack bonus towards dragons.
- The most popular safe spot to trap a wyvern is located near the cave’s entrance (just south of the cave door). However, you are first required to deaggro mobs before being able to utilize safespotting.
- If players don't have a Dragon Hunter Crossbow, it's recommended to use a Armadyl Crossbow.
- If using melee attack, skeletal wyverns may freeze players in place, during this time you can't attack and may affect your kills per hour.
- Using Void Knight Armour after 92 Ranged is known to be more beneficial than Dragonhide, in terms of the overall bonus.
General Tips & Frequently Asked Questions:
- To protect from the icy breath attack and reduce damage, it's recommended to wear a Ancient Wyvern Shield if utilizing Ranged as this will protect players from receiving damage.
- They use both; Magic and Ranged, which has a distance of 6 and 7 tiles respectively. So, to avoid any hits while using long-distance attacks, make sure that you’re not in range or the damage will be unavoidable.
- Although they are made of bones, they are not classified into the undead category. So, using Slave Amulet or the prayer Crumble Undead is pointless. This likewise goes for Anti-Fire potions, as it has no effect against the wyvern’s Icy Breath.
- A plus point is that if you’re frozen and you’re standing by the cave entrance, you can simply exit the cave and wait for the effect to wear off. This will ensure that you’re safe against the attacks from the mobs around you.
- Skeletal Wyverns have a chance to drop the Draconic visage (wiki) however, players typically kill wyverns for their wyvern bones.
- There are additional safespots near the western and southern sides of the ice structure (shown below)
We hope you've enjoyed this osrs skeletal wyverns guide, Good luck slaying those Wyverns!