Embarking on your journey in Old School RuneScape (OSRS) is an exciting endeavor, filled with adventures, challenges, and triumphs. This guide aims to provide a coherent and well-structured path for the early game, starting from account creation to making informed decisions about your character's progression. Let's dive in!
As a newcomer to Gielinor, the first step is to create your OSRS account. Once that's done, embark on the iconic Tutorial Island, where you'll learn the game's basic mechanics, such as combat, skills, and navigation. Completing Tutorial Island is essential as it grants experience points in various skills, giving you a solid foundation to start your adventure.
1. Visit the official Old School RuneScape website.
2. Click on the "Play Now" button to start the account creation process.
3. Choose a display name that is unique and reflects your character. Note that some names might already be taken, so have a few alternatives in mind.
4. Create a secure password that combines letters, numbers, and special characters.
5. Confirm your password to ensure accuracy.
6. Provide a valid email address. This will be used for account recovery and communication.
7. Confirm your email address by clicking the link sent to your inbox.
1. Choose your character's gender. This choice is purely cosmetic and does not impact gameplay.
2. Customize your character's appearance, including hairstyle, hair color, and clothing. Get creative and make your character unique.
1. Choose between "Ironman," "Hardcore Ironman," or "Regular" mode. Each mode offers different challenges and gameplay experiences.
2. Consider reading about each mode to understand their differences before making your choice.
1. Upon logging in for the first time, you'll find yourself on Tutorial Island.
2. Follow the instructions provided by the tutorial NPCs. They will guide you through the game's basic mechanics, including combat, skilling, and navigation.
3. Complete the tasks assigned by each tutorial NPC to gain experience in various skills. These skills include Cooking, Woodcutting, Firemaking, Fishing, and Mining.
4. Pay attention to the instructions and dialogue, as they provide valuable information for your journey.
5. As you progress through Tutorial Island, you'll earn experience lamps that you can use to level up your chosen skills.
6. Once you've completed all the tasks on Tutorial Island, you'll reach the end of the tutorial and be ready to venture into the mainland of Gielinor.
1. Take Your Time: Don't rush through Tutorial Island. It's a great opportunity to learn the game's basics and get a feel for the mechanics.
2. Ask Questions: If you're unsure about something, don't hesitate to ask the tutorial NPCs. They're there to help you.
3. Explore Options: During character customization, explore the different options available to create a character you'll enjoy playing as.
4. Choose Your Mode Wisely: Consider the gameplay style you prefer when selecting a game mode. Each mode offers a unique experience.
5. Stay Engaged: Pay attention to the tutorial's instructions and story elements. They'll help immerse you in the game's world.
Before diving into quests, define your goals. Do you want to focus on combat, skilling, or a combination of both? Having a clear objective will help you choose quests that align with your playstyle and aspirations.
As you step foot into the mainland, it's crucial to establish a strong foundation. Begin by completing quests that grant experience in essential skills like Attack, Strength, Defense, Ranged, and Magic. Quests like "Waterfall Quest," "Tree Gnome Village," and "Fight Arena" offer substantial experience rewards, boosting your combat capabilities.
Venture into unlocking important content by completing quests that provide access to crucial features. "Animal Magnetism" opens the door to Ava's Device, which improves your Ranged training. "Fairy Tale Part I" enables the use of Fairy Rings for convenient teleportation. "The Grand Tree" and "Tree Gnome Village" unlock Spirit Trees, facilitating fast travel.
Invest time in skilling quests that provide experience boosts and unlock useful activities. "The Knight's Sword" accelerates your Smithing skill, "Dwarf Cannon" grants access to the Dwarf Multicannon, and "The Dig Site" paves the way for Archaeology training.
Varrock offers a wealth of opportunities for progression. Complete "Gertrude's Cat" to access the Ratcatchers' questline, unlocking the Ardougne Rat Pits and minigame. "Varrock Museum" provides a hefty experience lamp that boosts a skill of your choice.
As your character grows, broaden your horizons by tackling quests that present different regions and challenges. "Lost City" unlocks the mystical land of Zanaris, while "Dragon Slayer" marks your entrance to the land of mighty dragons, or Client of Kourend to gain access to the continent of Zeah and the kingdom of Great Kourend
Develop your Agility skill through quests like "Recruitment Drive" and "The Tourist Trap." Additionally, consider embarking on the "Recipe for Disaster" questline, a series of subquests that reward you with the coveted Barrows Gloves—a prized possession among OSRS players.
Remember, OSRS offers a dynamic and player-driven experience. While this guide provides a solid framework, don't hesitate to explore quests that intrigue you, engage in skill training that aligns with your preferences, and embrace the diverse opportunities that Gielinor offers.
In the early game, setting the right course through optimal questing and skill training will lay the groundwork for a successful and fulfilling OSRS journey. May your adventures be grand, your skills honed, and your legacy legendary. The world of Gielinor awaits your exploration!