The Kraken is a stronger and larger version of the cave kraken and is considered a slayer boss. It requires level 87 Slayer to kill and cannot be boosted. Located at the Kraken Cove, it can only be attacked if the player has cave krakens as a Slayer task, which also requires level 50 Magic. Alongside its non-boss variants, it is the only monster that drops the trident of the seas and Kraken tentacle. It is however, widely considered a entry level boss in old school runescape (when it comes to mechanics).
Like its smaller brethren, the Kraken is submerged underwater. Magic is the only reliable way of dealing damage to it, as Ranged deals 1/7th of its normal damage, and Melee cannot be used. To start the fight, players can use a fishing explosive on the large whirlpool. Alternatively, the four whirlpools around can be disturbed; when all four whirlpools are disturbed, the larger one can be disturbed, which will result in the Kraken waking up. Both methods will release level 112 Enormous Tentacles, which attack with Magic.
Both the Kraken and its tentacles attack with magic; the Kraken can hit very hard, but often misses, while the tentacles are much more accurate but deal less damage. The Kraken and its tentacles use Typeless Magic and as such Protect from Magic does not provide any degree of damage reduction. The Kraken’s projectile resembles Fire Wave.
Players can create a Kraken instance for 25,000 coins. This fee can be deducted directly from the bank; players do not need to carry coins on them to create the instance.
The Kraken Cove is a dungeon located south-west of the Piscatoris Fishing Colony, housing waterfiends and cave krakens and the Kraken boss. All of the creatures can only be killed while on a Slayer task.
Players may enter without a slayer task, but upon attacking any monster inside the dungeon, Lieve McCracken will stop them from doing so, claiming that they are not assigned to kill them.
A dwarf multicannon can be used within this dungeon (Does not work near the Waterfiends).
1. Via fairy rings (code “A-K-Q”) will bring the players just east of the Cove.
2. Using a Piscatoris teleport scroll, or either the Western banner 3 or 4 to teleport the Piscatoris Fishing Colony, and running south-west.
1. High combat stats. Although not required, see the skill levels below for an indication of the advised stats:
If using Magic:
Level 75 or higher to equip the correct staves.
2. Partial completion of Fairytale II - Cure a Queen for access to the fairy rings network.
3. Bracelet of Slaughter to extend trip length.
To disturb the Kraken and start the fight, the player must use a fishing explosive on the large whirlpool, or attack the four small whirlpools and then attack the large whirlpool.
When using explosives, the impact audio cue indicates the Kraken is active, and attacks will register even if it has not emerged visually; any attacks made before the cue will produce no response.
The smaller whirlpools will change into four Enormous Tentacles, while the central whirlpool will change into the Kraken itself.
It is generally not worth the time to kill the Enormous Tentacles. Players should instead focus on damaging the Kraken while tanking the frequent small-damage hits from them.
During the fight, the player will be attacked by four Enormous Tentacles and by the Kraken itself:
1. The Kraken only attacks with a typeless magical ranged attack:
‘Typeless’ means that protections prayers will not have any effect.
‘Magical ranged’means that the attack accuracy is decided by the ranged attack bonuses of theKrakenand the magic defence bonuses of the player.
Themax hit of this attack is 28.
The attack isn’t very accurate and has an attack speed of 4 (i.e. every 2.4 seconds).
2. The Enormous Tentacles only attack with a typeless magical ranged attack:
‘Typeless’ means that protections prayer will not have any effect.
‘Magical ranged’ means that the attack accuracy is decided by the ranged attack bonuses of the Enormous Tentacles and the magic defence bonuses of the player.
Themax hit of this attack is 2.
Theattack is very accurate and has an attack speed of 4 (i.e. every 2.4 seconds).
The Kraken is a popular boss, therefore it may be hard to find an empty world. To combat this, players can create a private instance for 25,000 coins.
An advantage of a private instance is that dropped items stay on the ground for a longer period of time. Normally, items disappear after two minutes upon being dropped and other players can see it after one minute. However, this is not an issue if instancing, as dropped items disappear in 3 hours within the Kraken Cove instance. As the Kraken regularly drops a generous amount of food in the form of 5 edible seaweed or 5 sharks, the instance makes it a lot easier on the player to juggle these food sources before they disappear.
It is highly recommended to turn Auto Retaliate off when fighting the Kraken, as the tentacles continue to attack the player after it has been killed, resulting in wasted runes or weapon charges should your character attack them in return. With Auto Retaliate off, after a fishing explosive is used, the player will automatically attack the Kraken when vulnerable.
When exiting the instance, either by leaving, dying, or logging out, all items on the ground will be permanently lost. If a player dies, all items carried will be moved to a gravestone outside the instance.
As the Kraken and its tentacles use typeless attacks, the protection prayers have no effect. Players that bring an imbued heart should pray Preserve. Players with low Magic and/or Defence may consider praying Augury or Mystic Might to increase their magical defence.
1. If using Fire Surge with tome of fire.
2. If using Fire Surge with harmonised nightmare staff.
3. For players without these shields, the next best off-hand items are the Twisted buckler, Odium ward, Ancient wyvern shield, Mage's book, Malediction ward, Blessed shield or Black d'hide shield. See Shield slot table and organise by magic defence for more options.
4. Optional switch used before the Kraken dies to extend trip length.
1. Volatile nightmare staff for special attacks
2. Fishing explosive to quickly start the fight
3. Saturated heart or imbued heart / Forgotten brew
4. A prayer potion (to use Preserve if you don't have a saturated heart)
5. Teleport to house (tablet)
6. Empty Rune pouch to carry rune drops
7. Rest Shark or better
1. Casting fire spells with a charged tome of fire equipped will increase the spell's damage by 50%.
2. The occult necklace (+10%), tormented bracelet (+5%), imbued god capes (+2%), magus ring (+2%) and ancestral robes (+2% each) increase the maximum hit of the player's Magic spells.
3. The saturated heart will increase your damage and reduce the damage you take considerably. Forgotten brews, ancient brews, and battlemage potions are slightly less effective alternatives.
4. 1-2 Prayer potions or Super restores for using the Preserve prayer to keep imbued heart stats up.
5. Dramen staff for fairy ring akq, if elite Lumbridge diary is not completed.
6. Instead of a Dramen staff, a Piscatoris teleport puts you near the kraken cave, it also opens up an inventory slot upon arrival.
7. Explorer's ring 4 for high alchemy if not bringing runes.
8. Eldritch nightmare staff's special attack will restore your prayer, allowing you to keep Augury and Preserve on for the imbued heart boost to maintain high magic defence.
9. The Toxic blowpipe offers a much cheaper option for those who do not want to spend money on the Eldritch/Volatile nightmare staffs. One may consider using its special attack on the Enormous Tentacles, as they have a slightly lower +270 ranged defence bonus compared to the Kraken's +300. However, although the Kraken takes heavily reduced ranged damage, the blowpipe special attack will still grant the full health replenishment. Despite having a +270 (or +300 for Kraken) ranged defence bonus, you will still hit often because the Kraken and its tentacles have a level one base defence level. This is especially useful when wearing Karils or Armadyl armour.
10. The Volatile nightmare staff is a good special attack option if you're looking to farm Kraken as fast as possible.
11. The Elysian spirit shield does not work against the Kraken's attacks, as they're typeless and are able to hit through prayer. However, the passive effect greatly reduces damage taken from Kraken's tentacles.
|Krakan't Hurt Me||Kill the Kraken 25 times in a private instance without leaving the room.||Stamina||Hard (3 pts)|
|Kraken Adept||Kill the Kraken 20 times.||Kill Count||Hard (3 pts)|
|Unnecessary Optimization||Kill the Kraken after killing all four tentacles.||Mechanical||Hard (3 pts)|
|Ten-tacles||Kill the Kraken 50 times in a private instance without leaving the room.||Stamina||Elite (4 pts)|
|One Hundred Tentacles||Kill the Kraken 100 times in a private instance without leaving the room.||Stamina||Master (5 pts)|